Since I’ve been job searching this summer, I’ve been watching my pennies a little more carefully than normal. Luckily, that doesn’t mean I miss out on all the fun, either. I’ve been doing a lot of research lately on free and cheap things to do […]
Over the weekend my friend Anna and I took a little expedition to Olbrich Botanical Gardens here in Madison. Have you been? I’ve visited a couple of times this month and I think it’s becoming one of my favorite spots in the city. It reminds me a lot of the Botanical Garden in Dublin, which was a total happy place for me with the gray Irish weather. Olbrich has the same sanctuary vibe and includes elaborate grounds, a butterfly garden, and even a gorgeous gold Thai Pavilion. We had the perfect weather and spent the morning walking around and chatting about feminism, beekeeping, and healthcare technology. You know, the usual.
Vintage Floral Midi Skirt from Harakuju – Noisy May White Tee (similar here) – old Franco Sarto sandals – H&M Sunglasses
Her adorable dress is from Old Navy and it’s on sale here!
After spending some time in the butterfly garden, we met up with Anna’s boyfriend and grabbed lunch at Weary Traveler on Willy Street. I was craving red meat like crazy (needed that iron I guess?) so I went for the steak and a bloody mary and did not regret it even a little bit. After lunch, we dropped into A Woman’s Touch, Madison’s local independent sex shop, and then parted ways to go home and nap away the rest of the afternoon. I love Saturdays like this – relaxing with friends and getting outside to enjoy the weather while we still have it. I can already tell the days are getting shorter and it’s totally stressing me out!
Isn’t the Thai pavilion wild? I had no clue it was there the first time I visited – I can’t wait to come back in the winter and see it completely covered in snow. I just think that’ll be magical. There’s a beer garden at Olbrich across the street, too, that I’ve been meaning to check out. Definitely a good excuse to come back soon!
So this is mostly wishful thinking because it will definitely not be warm enough for me to wear any of this, but in the spirit of the season I wanted to put up a few picks for you hot weather folks. Classic with a fun, whimsical twist (& apparently I’ve got a thing for rabbits going this summer 🐰) Enjoy!
1) Henriette Dress by dRA – Lately I’ve been trying to focus on finding pieces that suit my shape. I get so caught up in fun proportions or trendy styles that I sometimes forget I’m dressing me. This dress is totally appropriate, though, with a deep V neck and empire waist and I love how easy it would be to throw on with white sneakers and silver jewelry.
2) Woodland Bunny Watch by Olivia Burton – We carry this watch brand at Bow & Pearl and I came across this sweet little piece while updating our stock. I love that it’s whimsical but still modern and has vegan leather which is good for both the animals and my wallet.
3) Rattan Wedge by Charlotte Olympia – Okay, so obviously a dream purchase with such a high price tag (even at half off!) but I love the idea of a statement heel. I find myself drawn to a lot of simple dresses so a little pop of personality is definitely needed. This pair is somewhere between old Hollywood starlet and chic suburban mom going out to dinner in Florida, which I completely love.
4) Round Rabbit Mini Bag by Andrés Gallardo – Another reach purchase here too, but I think I might be falling for the round bag trend. I saw one that I loved on Julia Engel’s blog and can’t stop thinking about them. I love the cobalt color and sweet detail on this one and the mini shape helps it feel like less of a hat box. I’m on the hunt for some more affordable options, so I’ll keep ya updated.
5) Bow Back Playsuit by One O Eight – I’m a sucker for a great romper and this one is perfect! We just ordered in pieces from this brand at Bow & Pearl and I stumbled upon this awesome little playsuit on their website. Love the fresh green and white pattern and I would totally style it as shown, with white sneakers and a bun. Or dress it up with a banana yellow heel and beachy waves for a date night. Can’t beat a versatile piece at a reasonable price!
What are you wearing this summer? Realistically it will be denim and sweaters for me all summer, but alas I’ve never met a cozy summer night I didn’t like…