Happy Sunday and welcome to my new weekly post, In Case You Missed It! Each week I’ll be rounding up all my favorite pop culture moments, viral content, and everything thing that I’m culturally consuming at the moment. I definitely still plan on doing more in-depth posts on things like the Bachelor (duh) and posting more book reviews this year, but I wanted a space to more casually share everything on my radar.
This Week’s News:
○ Kim & Kanye are expecting baby #4! Chicago, Saint, and North are getting a new sibling and rumor is they’re hoping for a boy. The baby is being carried by a surrogate. Congrats, Kimye!
○ Congress was sworn in and Democrats take back the majority with the most diverse Congress in US history. There was lots of feel-good tweeting to be had.
○ Kevin Hart has stepped down from hosting this year’s Oscars because of some recently uncovered homophobic tweets from 2010ish. He has issued an apology and Ellen Degeneres has come to his defense, but many are still calling for more amends to be made.
○ In more baby news, the world’s worst bachelor and Lauren B. announced they’re expecting a baby girl. They’re also getting married in less than a week! Will it be the most generic wedding of the year? Obviously lol.
○ In devastating news for Britney Spears fans (like myself), she is taking a hiatus from her Las Vegas residency to focus on her family, particularly her father whose health has worsened. I’ve been a Britney fan forever and I know her family life is complex, so wishing her all the best.
○ Stranger Things Season 3 was announced! It premieres July 4 so get ready for a spooky summer…
○ I’ve seen this article posted by no less than 10 people on FB: “How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation” by Anne Helen Peterson (whose book I’m actually reading right now). It’s long, so buckle up.
○ Chrissy Teigen’s iconic start to the New Year. Another year, another incredible Chrissy gif.
○ Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez got heat when a video of her dancing on a roof was released this week. The consensus seems to be it was more adorable than abhorrent.
○ The bloopers and a deleted scene from Ariana Grande’s Thank You, Next video were released this week. Just when I thought I couldn’t love Kris Jenner more.
○ The Bachelor premieres tomorrow (although I’m watching in on Wednesday so no spoilers!) and the drama has already begun – are you ready for the insanity?!
What I’m Consuming:
○ The Golden Globes tonight. Awards Season kicks off tonight with everyone’s second favorite awards show. I’ll be watching for the red carpet fashion and the weird Sandra Oh & Andy Samberg dual-hosting.
○ Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix. After using her method to clean out my apartment last year, I had to watch her new series. Honestly, I liked the first couple of episodes, but it sort of got repetitive and boring for me. It’s nice to have on in the background, but I didn’t find it super engaging.
○ Ghosted by Rosie Walsh. I finished this book this week and was whelmed by it. Good, not great. It’s a quick read and is mysterious while still being light.
○ Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of the Unruly Woman by Anne Helen Peterson. I’m currently about half-way through this book and it’s definitely one that’s got me thinking. I think this would be a great pick for a book club – lots of arguments to talk through and sort out.
○ Rewatching The Crown on Netflix. I’m not sure what pulled me back into this show for a rewatch, but I’m appreciated how well done it is all over again. Dying to see Helena Bonham Carter in Season 3.